Toxicity Translations

Rachel Carson and The Ocean
by Abigail McEwen -- May 27th, 2014

Today would be Rachel Louise Carson’s 107th birthday.

If you have already tried to Google something today, you may be aware of this, as they have a lovely “doodle” dedicated to her.

While Silent Spring is her greatest legacy, Rachel Carson was a marine biologist and also wrote several books about ocean life, including The Sea Around Us, Under the Sea Wind, and The Edge of the Sea. These books are beautifully written and poetic accounts of marine life and science.

This past weekend, I took a trip to visit relatives living in Florida. During my brief visit, I made sure to spend time appreciating the beauty of the Gulf of Mexico shoreline, or The Emerald Coast as many call it.

Below are a few photos from my visit. While I could go on about my love of the ocean, and all the memories and thoughts it invokes in my mind, I will instead leave you with a few of my favorite quotes from Rachel Carson herself, in honor of her 107th birthday.

Waves

“The edge of the sea is a strange and beautiful place. All through the long history of Earth it has been an area of unrest where waves have broken heavily against the land, where the tides have pressed forward over the continents, receded, and then returned. For no two successive days is the shore line precisely the same.” -Rachel Carson, The Edge of the Sea. 

d

“The winds, the sea, and the moving tides are what they are. If there is wonder and beauty and majesty in them, science will discover these qualities… If there is poetry in my book about the sea, it is not because I deliberately put it there, but because no one could write truthfully about the sea and leave out the poetry.” – Rachel Carson, acceptance speech of the National Book Award for non-fiction.

photo 2

“Those who contemplate the beauty of the earth find reserves of strength that will endure as long as life lasts.” – Rachel Carson, The Sense of Wonder.

Thank you Rachel Carson, for your environmentalist spirit and beautiful words!

1. Aunt Susan
    May 28, 2014

Excellent points, and so lucky you can visit the ocean again, I miss it!
    Carson was the first ‘”Environmental” author I was aware of, before that term was even used.