Tidebook

New Adventures
by Sarah G. Sunu -- July 11th, 2014

Hi all!

Now that I’ve settled into my new job, in a new town, on a new coast, I can finally share what I’ve been up to with you. It’s been such a whirlwind that I can’t believe it’s already July!

As I alluded to in my last entry, I was packing up to head out West with Steve for my new job with COMPASS, a great organization that helps scientists communicate their work and connect with audiences beyond academia (you can learn more here).

Working with COMPASS again is especially exciting for me, because way back in 2009-2010 I interned in the DC office and had an amazing experience. It really shaped my career interests and goals, and is a big part of why I applied for graduate school. And did I mention that I heard about the internship through the Marine Lab after attending summer courses in 2007? It all comes full circle.

So I was (and am) thrilled about this opportunity, but we still had to get ourselves and our car from Morehead City, NC to Portland, OR.  Which meant driving.

Our trip was pretty epic, and we literally went from the Atlantic (only a block from our place in Morehead City) to the Pacific (though Portland, OR, our final destination, is about 90 minutes from the ocean, so we settled in for a bit and unpacked before making the full coast-t0-coast trip–after about 40 hours in the car we needed the break).

I’m excited to share our trip with you (I took a lot of pictures whenever I wasn’t driving). I also should say that this will be my last blog post for the Nicholas School (but you can keep up with me over at COMPASS, as I’ll be contributing to the blog here).  I’ve really enjoyed sharing my Nicholas School experience with you, and I hope that you have enjoyed seeing a little slice of student life! I know I’m leaving you in good hands with the Duke Environment Blogging Team.

Wishing you all the best,

Sarah

Tides for Friday, July 11th, 2014,  Seaside, OR:

Low: 7:40 AM, -0.53 feet

High: 12:55 PM, 4.68 feet

Low: 7:21 AM, 0.88 feet

From NOAA Tides and Currents