Tidebook

Long Time Travelin’
by Sarah Gillig Sunu -- June 10th, 2013

I’ve spent the last couple of weeks on the road, first up to Boston, Mass. to see my sister for a day or two, then to Middletown, Conn. for Reunion and Commencement at my alma mater, Wesleyan University (I had forgotten what dorm living is like….), then back up to Massachusetts to stop at Northfield Mount Hermon School (the high school my sisters and I attended), then down the Cape to see my grandparents on Martha’s Vineyard, then off-island to visit the Northeastern University Marine Science Center in Nahant, Mass. (where I served for AmeriCorps last year), then back to the island, then driving down through New York and Ohio to get to Kentucky for two days, then back up to Ohio to catch a flight out of Dayton, which had a layover in Atlanta, Ga., and finally landing at RDU.  Phew!

Suffice it to say things have been a little busy, but I took lots of pictures. It was lovely to see everyone, and great to be back in New England, if only for a little while.  Now it’s time to settle down to work on my master’s project, which will be the subject of my next post!

Butterfly
Butterfly
Flowers at Magic Wings
Butterfly
Butterfly
Birds at Magic Wings
Butterfly
Blue Morpho

This was the best shot I could get of a Blue Morpho--there were tons of them but they were very fast, and they never landed with their wings open (the underside of the wing is a brown pattern, I was able to get lots of pictures of that!).

Blue Morphos

Hard to catch on my camera--they're really fast!

Butterfly

Magic Wings Butterfly Conservatory

Dock

Lagoon, Martha's Vineyard, MA

Abandoned boat

Lagoon, Martha's Vineyard, MA

Old Sailing Camp

Old Sailing Camp, Oak Bluffs, MA (where we got married!)

Stairs

Lagoon, Martha's Vineyard, MA

Lagoon view

Martha's Vineyard

Footprints

Big footprints of some kind of bird--I wear a size 8.5 shoe and they're almost as big as my foot!

Rocky Shore in Nahant, MA
Lodge Point Park, Nahant, MA

The NEUMSC uses part of an old military bunker for their facilities (offices for the center are in the old barracks, which have been renovated), and there are remnants of the military all over Nahant. Observation stations like the one to the left, and watch towers, dot the park and surrounding blocks.

Tree Swallow in a bird box

This bird was very chill--I was standing about 3 feet from the box taking a picture, and it flew up and just sat there for about 10 minutes. I didn't want to startle it by changing my lens, so I didn't get any close-ups, but I think it's a tree swallow.

Egg Rock, view from Lodge Point Park, Nahant, MA

The Lodge Point Park is right behind the Marine Science Center--it was great to be able to walk there after lunch every day!

Canoe Beach and Egg Rock, Nahant, MA
View from Canoe Beach, Egg Rock in the distance, Nahant, MA
View from Canoe Beach, Nahant, MA
Forty Steps Beach, Nahant, MA
The Oak Bluffs-Vineyard Haven Lagoon, Martha's Vineyard
Ripple
Ripple
Ripple

My grandfather's boat, Ripple (built by him and his friend Dick, and currently crewed by my brother and sister and skippered by my grandfather)

Kentucky State Capitol
Kentucky State Capitol
Kentucky River

Kentucky River, view from the Capitol

Roses in KY

Capitol Rose Garden

Roses in KY

Capitol Rose Garden

Roses in KY

Capitol Rose Garden

Rose in KY

Capitol Rose Garden

Roses in KY

Capitol Rose Garden

Magnolia Blossom, KY

I love the smell of magnolias! It's sort of a lemon-butter-vanilla-cookie smell.

Tides for Friday, June 7, 2013, Beaufort, NC

Low: 12:51 AM, 0.3 ft

High: 6:38 AM, 2.8 ft

Low: 12:35 PM, 0.1 ft

High: 7:09 PM, 3.6 ft

From NOAA Tides and Currents

1. Tawnee
    Jun 11, 2013

Love the shots, Sarah – fantastic butterfly images. Also, the yellow flower shot is stunning. You’re getting savvy with that camera! Glad you had a great time and were able to enjoy nature while you were visiting with friends and loved ones!

2. Opa
    Jun 17, 2013

Your photos gave us a glimpse of your trip. You are making friends with your camera. Thanks for sharing!
    Opa

3. krista
    Jul 3, 2013

Love your photos. They are gorgeous shots of nature!