Tidebook

Goodbye to the Piedmont
by Sarah Gillig -- August 6th, 2013

The summer has really flown by! It’s hard to believe that it’s already August.

Since the last time I wrote, I’ve: volunteered for a week in Black Mountain, NC at the Conference on National Affairs YMCA Youth-In-Government program, finished up my part-time job teaching swimming lessons, found a new place for my husband and myself to live down near the Marine Lab, attended a family reunion in Door County, WI, done some writing, and packed up our current apartment (well, it’s about 75% packed).  In addition to working on my MP!

Big Porch, Big Mountains, Big Sky at the Blue Ridge Center

In all likelihood, this will be the last post I make from Chapel Hill. I’m very excited about finally getting to be at the Marine Lab, and our new place! We’ll be really close to the water, so cross your fingers for me that there won’t be any big storms this year.

I’m also really excited to get to do more field work this semester, particularly field work on (and in!) the water. Environmental communication is my thing, academically speaking, but I love the potential for discovery every time I go out into the natural world. Even if it’s something that I’ve seen a thousand times before, it’s still thrilling to know that there’s the possibility of learning something new this time.

Speaking of learning new things, I’ve been doing a lot of research on Morehead City and Carteret County, so that by the time we get there next week I’ll have some idea of where all the important things are. For the record, I include the following on my list of ‘important things’ to know the whereabouts of: frozen yogurt shops, places to drink tea, farmer’s markets, local\regional milk in glass bottles (I find that milk out of a glass bottle is far more delicious than the usual kind), significant historical sites and parks, and all libraries within a 20-mile radius.  Last time I was at the Marine Lab I didn’t really go off-campus–no car or bike, but now I have both–so I’m excited to do a lot more exploring this time around!

And the next time I write a blog post, I can give you the tide by actually going out and looking at the tide gages on the Marine Lab dock!

Tides for Tuesday, August 6, 2013, Beaufort, NC

Low: 1:16 AM, 0.4 ft

High: 7:09 AM, 3.0 ft

Low: 1:08 PM, 0.2 ft

High: 7:32 PM, 3.6 ft

From NOAA Tides and Currents

1. Tawnee
    Aug 6, 2013

We’re going to miss having you around Durham, but lots of adventures will be awaiting you on the coast! Keep us posted on how your move goes – looking forward to hearing more about your time at the Marine Lab once you’re there!