THEGREENGROK

Travels With TheGreenGrok

A series of dispatches on interesting places that my deanly duties whisk me off to

Arctic

Arizona

China

• Back in the PRC
    August 11, 2008

The 2008 Summer Olympics are underway, and all the world is either in or watching China. I too am headed that way -– sitting in a Boeing 777-ER somewhere over the Bering Strait as I write. But, alas, my destination is Hong Kong not Beijing, but hearing talk of Beijing’s poor air quality while returning to China jogs cloudy memories. 
    Read post »

An unexpected sight from my recent trip to the Gulf Coast.

Gulf of Mexico

Nepal

Pennsylvania

• A Trip to Fracking Land
    June 14, 2012

Greetings from Pennsylvania. I’m here in the state this week leading a group of Nicholas School colleagues on an “eco-fact-finding” trip. 
    Read post »

• A Visit With Some Folks in Fracking Land
    June 22, 2012

Part two — the view from the grassroots. Last week I led a group of Nicholas School colleagues on an “eco fact-finding” trip to learn about fracking in Pennsylvania. Today I’m writing about the second half, which was devoted to hearing from people in the Keystone State. 
    Read post »

New Mexico

New York

• A Cautionary Tale of Trees
    April 22, 2009

About 137 years ago the first Arbor Day was held in Nebraska. The idea to set aside a special day for planting trees and educating folks about the importance of trees sprang from Julius Sterling Morton (1832-1902), a Nebraska journalist cum politician. In honor of the holiday, The Green Grok brings you the story of three American trees. 
    Read post »

Russia

Singapore

• Singapore Green
    March 5, 2012

An initial quick look at Singapore (complete with a photo of a modern-day Noah’s ark??).
    Read post »

United Arab Emirates

• The U.A.E. and the U.S.
    September 03, 2008

While in the United Arab Emirates (U.A.E.) on business last week, I expected to find an alien country. What I found instead was a place maybe not so foreign after all.
    Read post »

West Virginia

Wyoming

• Jackson Hole: Balancing Nature and Development
    July 26, 2010

A visit to paradise confronting the march of progress.
    How does one balance the need, indeed the necessity to preserve the natural and the wild while accommodating the economic imperative to develop? It’s a problem that in one form or another is being played out all over the globe. 
    Read post »