Enviro Quiz 3
by Bill Chameides | December 17th, 2010
posted by Erica Rowell (Editor)
Post updated with answers to the quiz, 12/24/10.
Here it is, the third and final quiz in our contest.
Without further ado ….
Answers to the Third and Final of Three Quizzes
1. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration is evaluating whether the genetically modified salmon known as AquAdvantage is right for market in the United States based on which of the following criteria?
- whether it is the nutritional equivalent of farmed Atlantic salmon that is not genetically modified
- whether it poses an ecological risk to the survival of wild salmon
- whether its entry into the marketplace will create even more demand on fisheries
- all of the above.
2. Which one of the following is true about rare earth elements?
- Rare earth elements are used in the electric engines and batteries of electric cars and in the electrical components of wind turbines.
- They are among the rarest elements on earth, making up just .0004 parts per million of the Earth’s crust.
- China and the United States make up 80 percent of global rare-earth production.
3. Which of the following sources has recent research focused on as being a missing contributor to sea level rise that would balance the budget?
- thermal expansion of the ocean
- groundwater runoff
- melting sea ice
4. Which of the following is true?
- The cap-and-trade market as recently proposed in legislation that passed the House of Representatives but failed to come to a vote in the Senate would have been the first market designed to control pollution in the United States.
- Formaldehyde, glyphosate, and triclosan are all controversial components in toothpaste.
- The U.S. Toxic Substances Control Act regulates all chemicals produced and sold in the United States.
- Vitamin D is a hormone.
5. Which of the following is not a halogenated compound?
- Polybrominated diphenyl ethers (PBDE)
- Bisphenol-af (BPAF)
- Perfluorooctanoic acid (PFOA)
- Bisphenol-a (BPA)
That’s a wrap for the final quiz. As for our grand prize winner? We will announce that sometime in January or February, after we’ve tabulated the results and chosen the winner at random.filed under: faculty, science
and: environment, iPad, quiz