THEGREENGROK

Climate Change Chatter – May 10

by Bill Chameides | May 10th, 2013
posted by Erica Rowell (Editor)

Permalink | 4 comments
climate chatter
Some views on floods, God, climate change and politics. From left to right: U.S. Rep. John Shimkus (R-IL), Rep. Joe Barton (R-TX), Former Rep. Bob Inglis (R-SC), Sen. Sheldon Whitehouse (D-RI)

Fighting fire with fire or fire and brimstone? Members of Congress on the Bible and climate change.

quotation marksquotation marks The earth will end only when God declares it is time to be over. Man will not destroy this earth. This earth will not be destroyed by a Flood.

—Rep. John Shimkus (R-IL) on why climate change is not of concern, at a March 25, 2009 House hearing [pdf] before the Subcommittee on Energy and Environment (video ~1:08)

quotation marksquotation marks I would point out that if you’re a believer in the Bible, one would have to say that the Great Flood is an example of climate change and that certainly wasn’t because mankind had overdeveloped hydrocarbon energy.

—Rep. Joe Barton (R-TX) on April 10, 2013, at a hearing on H.R. 3 on the Keystone Pipeline [See video ~1:03:44]

quotation marksquotation marks Somewhere along the way, conservatism became, ‘I’ve got a God-given right to drive my SUV wherever I want to go, and we’ll send somebody else’s kids to the Middle East to fight for it.’

—Former Rep. Bob Inglis (R-SC) now of the Energy and Enterprise Initiative, which is working toward a carbon tax solution (Source: Houston Chronicle, April 26, 2013)

quotation marksquotation marks

Remember the story of the man trapped in his house during a huge flood? A faithful man, he trusted God to save him. As the waters began to rise in his house, his neighbor came by and offered him a ride to safety and he said, I’m waiting for God to save me. …

Well, eventually the floodwaters swept over the roof and the man was drowned.

When the man reached heaven, he had some questions for God – God, he asked, didn’t I trust in you to save me? …

God answered: I sent you a pickup truck, I sent you a boat, I sent you a helicopter, you refused my help.

Just as God sent the pickup truck, the boat, and the helicopter to the drowning man, he has sent us everything we need to solve this carbon pollution problem. We just refuse. We just refuse. Some of us even deny that the floodwaters are rising.

Sen. Sheldon Whitehouse (D-RI), May 8, 2013 speech (See video ~11:28)

Related Links

• Climate Change Chatter, Issue 1

• Climate Change Chatter, Issue 2

• Climate Change Chatter, Issue 3

• Climate Change Chatter, Issue 4

• Climate Change Chatter, Issue 5

• Climate Change Chatter, Issue 6

• Climate Change Chatter, Issue 7

• Climate Change Chatter, Issue 8

• Climate Change Chatter, Issue 9

filed under: climate change, energy, faculty, global warming, politics
and: ,

All comments are moderated and limited to 275 words. Your e-mail address is never displayed. Read our Comment Guidelines for more details.

1. Michael Berndtson
    May 11, 2013

Pursuant to Shimkus’ campaign donors. I’ve been wondering if medical professionals and suppliers of products and services see environmental protection cutting into its business. Like reducing the backlog of sicknesses to treat. His faith may be grounded in mining high sulphur Illinois coal than scripture (old or new). “The good lord didn’t lay down coal under three quarters of Illinois for it to sit there” – Mathew, Mark, Luke or John. Maybe Paul. Or maybe Deuteronomy or Leviticus or Genesis even. Proverbs? It’s in there somewhere.

Regarding Bob Shimkus from my state, Illinois (from Open Secrets):
    http://www.opensecrets.org/politicians/summary.php?cid=n00004961
    Top industries for the 2011/12 election cycle:
    Health Professionals $197,850
    Pharmaceuticals/Health Products $144,300
    Electric Utilities $135,500
    Oil & Gas $115,500
    Mining $80,909

2. cjorach
    May 10, 2013

The facts are CO2 has gone up but temperatures have not, This simple truth completely negates the Catastrophic Climate Change Theory (CCCT) which predicts as CO2 goes up so do Temperatures. The inconventient truth is the Greens defending this fraudulent theory are in effect denying millions of working people and the poor of the world access to our vast natural fossil fuel resources. Resources that belong to the people not the elites in the Government. Resources that if made available to the people would provide cheap energy and millions of good paying jobs.

There is still hope that more will see the light as more and more scientists speak truth to power. Freeman Dyson a renowned physicist who has been teaching at the Institute for Advanced Study in Princeton. “most brilliant physicist on the planet.” since Albert Einstein. scoffs at those who believe in Catastrophic Climate Change.

“I just think they don’t understand the climate,” he said of climatologists. “Their computer models are full of fudge factors.” Ditto the World Bank and the rest of their ilk.

http://blog.nj.com/njv_paul_mu

• Bill Chameides
      Bill Chameides
      Aug 16, 2013

The “simple truth” is that temperatures have gone up largely because of CO2 and other greenhouse gases. And I see little evidence that the scientific facts concerning climate change have denied anyone access to fossil fuels.

3. Jim
    May 10, 2013

How scary can you get? There are so many holes in Barton’s and Shimkus’ statements. Saying God is real, couldn’t the destruction of the earth still come though people? What about nuclear weapons? Are they saying they know exactly how God is going to allow the destruction of the Earth? Their statements really come down to “I am going to make up my own reality and believe what I want to believe and be damned with everything else.”.

Nicholas School of the Environment at Duke University | Box 90328 | Durham, NC 27708
how to contact us > | login to the site >