Collaborative Research

Getting the Chills
by -- January 17th, 2013

Hello again from the Kilo Moana!  My name is Alyse Larkin and I am a PhD graduate student in Dr. Johnson’s lab.  Onboard the Kilo, my main project involves taking environmental samples from our CTD casts, as well as from our incubation experiment.  Using the filter setup pictured below, I take about 80 samples a day.

My filtration set up on the Kilo Moana

Once we get back to the Duke Marine Lab, I will use quantitative PCR and sequencing technologies to examine how patterns of Prochlorococcus biodiversity and activity are related to temperature.  The hope is to try and determine how the open ocean ecosystem will respond to climate change.  I know I’m already excited to see what my results will be!

Morning in the laboratory

After a rough couple of days, today dawned beautiful, clear, and COLD!  We’re currently at about 38 degrees North, which is equivalent to the city of Washington D.C.  No more warm tropical weather for us, it’s time to break out the hats, flannels and jackets!

Tristan keeping warm in the library

Working in the lab

Luckily, we still have our albatross and other bird friends following behind the boat.  They have flown with us all the way from Hawaii! This afternoon, we turned the boat around and are currently heading back south, so as to resample the ocean temperature gradient.  We will see if the birds follow us back down.

Our bird followers

1. cindy Van Dover
    Jan 21, 2013

Comment

2. Cindy Van Dover
    Jan 21, 2013

Kudos to all bloggers for a great job on describing the field experience with words and images!