Collaborative Research

Disco Fever
by -- January 29th, 2013

Hello from a sailor happy to see blue skies again! Yesterday, as noted in the last post, the seas were too rough to do any science. This might seem like a welcome break, but by noon, everyone was so bored that we longed for samples to filter! We did, however, watch a grand total of 4 movies, along with another episode of Firefly. I also had enough time to take two naps, which I think everyone else was pretty impressed with. This morning, welcome news was posted on the board: the water was no longer too rough to deploy the CTD! Besides the Prochlorococcus being welcomed with open arms into the lab, another surprise awaited us: a newly installed disco light!

Disco Fever hits Lab 2, and even the scientific equipment is dancing

We’ve managed to sneak in a few micro groovy dance parties, in-between all of the science. My project, which, if you remember from my earlier post, is finding abundances of Prochlorococcus in the depth column as well as across the temperature gradient in the North Pacific, has progressed to the point of having enough data to be able to make some preliminary statements about Prochlorococcus. I’ve found that as temperature increases, so does abundance, and you’ll be happy to know there was just about nothing present in any depth of the “big 10” (10o C). This was exciting news, because it supported our hypothesis!

With only ten days left on the ship, I know many of us are starting to become sad that our time on the ocean is ending. However, if we’re lucky, we’ll be able to unload the ship in time to go on a hike in Hawaii! As the end approaches, what we’ll do with our one day in Hawaii has become a hot topic: should we go hiking, snorkeling, or just lay on the beach? It’s a tough decision, but it’s certainly not one that I mind making!

Because the last few posts have ended with comments about the food, I’d like to take this opportunity to commend Debbie for the peanut butter bars she made this afternoon. It was like a home-made Reeses, and it was delicious.

See you on the 7th!

Carrie