Collaborative Research

A Virtual Tour
by -- January 14th, 2013

Hi! It’s Molly again. Today we began the routine that we will continue for the rest of the cruise. It begins with waking up at 3:30 a.m. and then helping to deploy the rosette into the water. We have to wait about an hour until it comes back to the surface. While we are waiting, each of us prepares for our specific projects. Once the rosette is back on the deck, we gather around to collect our samples, and then get to work.

Each project takes a different amount of time. My specific project uses a filter to separate phytoplankton based on its size. The filter is placed in methanol to extract pigments over 24 hours after which I use a fluorometer to measure how much chlorophyll is in each sample. This gives me an indication about how many Prochlorococcus are found at each depth. It is a very interesting experiment but it takes a lot of time. The hardest part is trying to pick up the thin sheets of filter paper with a set of forceps while the ship is pitching and reeling. I guess that’s just something I’ll have to get used to. Some of the other undergraduates are focusing on nutrients, pH, or using a flow cytometer to measure chlorophyll.

I figured that now would be a good time to give you a virtual tour of the ship. Normally, I would take a video, but the Internet is not very strong and thus, pictures will have to suffice.

A typical stateroom

The Library

The mess room

The lounge (complete with hundreds of DVDs)

The rosette!

The incubators on the upper deck (to simulate rising sea surface temperatures).

Our lab!

1. kole
    Jan 15, 2013

thanks for the tour. 🙂