Experimental Tropical Marine Ecology

Lizard in the shower!
by -- March 5th, 2012

Day 2 (March 4, 2012)

The day started out bright and early with a colorful and yummy breakfast at our hotel before checking out (we were flying out of Panama City that day). Before leaving we sequestered a bunch of bananas for our first stop of the day, a visit to the Panamanian night monkeys.

Abbie feeding a mother with a baby on her back a bit of banana.

From that spot we drove up the mountain to see amazing panoramas of the city and monuments of national pride.

The national flag that can be seen from far distances across the city.

Our next stop brought us to the Panama Canal where we toured the museum and watch a documentary on its history. We then went to walk the streets of the old city where brilliant architecture withheld the test of time. Flower trellises spilling over wrought ironwork balconies overhead made me feel as though I was in a movie set in Western Europe.

Our flight to Bocas del Toro was mostly uneventful though it was intriguing to experience being on a flight that stopped at each island to drop folks off like a taxi service. It was also interesting to disembark at an airport with only two rooms, one a receiving room and another for baggage claim. There was no conveyor belt and only a man heaving your luggage off the cart through a door half his height and handing it directly to you.

This time our ride was right on the other side of the doors waiting for us and everything continued to flow smoothly from moving in to our lovely apartment to taking a tour of the Bocas Smithsonian Tropical Research Institute (STRI) lab and unpacking equipment. When we got back from the STRI lab we were greeted by the neigh of a horse tied in the field in front of our building and the meow of a local cat that was quite adamant about entering our apartment. I lured it away with my cat speak (a sound like “swchh swchh swchhh”) and held it while everyone dashed inside. I told them to close the door while I gave him two pats on his rear making my desire clear for him to scoot. I then slid inside before he noticed where I was going. His meows were heard for a few hours afterwards – very successful guilt-tripping. The next memorable event of the night occurred as I was debating what the title of this blog should be. A scream and pitter-patter of feet from the shower. Another creature had come to wish us a warm welcome to Bocas del Toro, Panama.

1. Nik
    Mar 6, 2012

It seems like y’all have had quite an adventure over two days. Your blog is well-written and reads like a story; I’m excited to hear more about your trip.