Running in Slow Motion
by Nicole Carlozo -- May 22nd, 2012

There’s nothing wrong with moving forward at a slow pace. After all, it gives you time to look around.

The last few months have been busy, filled with MP writing, presentations, job interviews, travel, and graduation preparations. Despite the busy nature of my last semester, I found myself with time to fully enjoy the Beaufort lifestyle. Kayaking, potlucks, card nights, lounging at the beach, and chatting around the Front Street gazebo were common activities for me and the other CEMs. Through it all, I realized how important it is to spend time outside in the environment we have all vowed to protect. And through a variety of fisheries and watershed field classes, I was able to do so both in and out of the classroom.

This semester seemed to speed up and slow down all at the same time. Before I knew it, I found myself standing on stage at the Nicholas School Recognition Ceremony as a “Master” of Coastal Environmental Management. Who would’ve thought? I know one thing for sure – as a little girl I didn’t dream of one day becoming an “environmental manager.” What a mouthful! When prodded by the loving adults in my life, I’d spout out “vet,” or “nurse,” or even “writer.” Yet, somehow, through a lot of prayer and hard work, I ended up here – in a position to use my love of science and writing to do something important.

Some of us have jobs lined up, others have internships, and still others a summer of job hunting. Nevertheless, I hope everyone takes a step back to remember why we sought out MEM degrees in the first place. For me, it rested on feelings or responsibility, respect, and moral obligation. But everyone has a different story.

This summer marks another opportunity for me to slow down and smell the roses (or in my case, the salty ocean air). Come August, I’ll be working in Maryland’s Department of Natural Resources Office as a 2012-2014 NOAA Coastal Management Fellow. I’m excited to work in the field on water quality and aquaculture issues, especially in my very own Chesapeake Bay watershed! But until August, I’ll be sitting back and enjoying life as much as possible.

As I infiltrate the professional realm, I don’t know how things will play out. Nevertheless, I’d like to share my story. Look for my next blog on the Nicholas School Alumni Blogging site.

Until then, it’s been fun!