New Beginnings
by Nicole Carlozo -- January 6th, 2012

2012: A new year, new semester, and new perspective awaits!

December ran by me in a blur as I struggled through final exams, papers, and presentations. In the midst of it all, however, I took time to enjoy Christmas in Beaufort. It started on my post-Thanksgiving drive back from Maryland. Lights lined the Morehead City streets in the form of candy canes, bows, angels, and wreaths.

One of the many decorated boats that floated by the Marine Lab in December.

Day by day, lights illuminated the streets of our little historic Beaufort. And on one cold night, the Marine Lab community gathered to drink hot chocolate and watch the annual Flotilla – a parade of decorated boats traveling from Morehead City all the way down Front Street. Kudos for the kayaker who made that cold, long journey!

In addition to the Flotilla, I found myself at the Beaufort Christmas parade (where candy rained down around us), the Marine Lab Holiday Party and a Christmas-themed Bingo night, among other celebrations. But soon enough, the semester was over. Then, Christmas was over. And finally, 2011 was over.

A lot can be accomplished in just one year. For me, 2011 was a whirlwind of academic, professional, and fieldwork experiences. When I first entered the Nicholas School in the Fall of 2010, graduation seemed so far away. Now, it looms rather closely before me. As I wrap up my graduate school experience, I can’t help but think about what awaits this year. Graduation and employment are the first important milestones that come to mind. But what I’m truly looking forward to is testing and challenging my knowledge. I’m ready to put this education to use!

Stay tuned this month for updates on Marine Lab life, Masters Project highlights, career fair adventures, and environmental musings.