Making Peace with Tomorrow
by Nicole Carlozo -- February 20th, 2012

A few thoughts on graduation and beyond…

As humans, we tend to fear the unknown. How many times have you sat through a horror film, knowing something scary or horrific was imminent? It’s not the music that causes goose bumps to cascade down your arms. It’s not the eerie setting that puts that unsettling feeling in the pit of your stomach. It’s the unknown. What lies around that next bend? Who’s on the other end of that phone call?

In a way, those same fears are mirrored as we begin our professional careers. With graduation looming less than 3 months away, we all fear the same thing: the void of uncertainty in our immediate futures. Was this worth it? Has the debt, late nights, and hours tearing my hair out in the GIS lab made me a more competitive, well-rounded individual? Will I find a fulfilling job after graduation?

Right now, I don’t know the answers. But I can say that I feel more competitive, I feel well-rounded, and I feel more qualified. I’ve sent out half-a-dozen job applications and interviewed with two organizations. And you know what? It wasn’t until those interviews that I realized how much I’ve grown over the last two years. Being forced to talk about yourself and answer questions about your qualifications does something for your confidence.

Confidence isn’t something that has ever come easy for me. But, at the end of it all, I have achieved a level of confidence that I’ve never felt before.

And so I’ve gradually made peace with graduation and the prospects ahead. In the midst of classes, field trips, and MP writing, I’ll continue searching for that next exciting opportunity. If nothing else, writing cover letters is a great way to procrastinate those looming MP deadlines.