Love that Water
by Nicole Carlozo -- September 24th, 2012

While a 9 to 5 job has its perks, it also has its downsides. Who wants to be chained to a desk day in and day out? So when I started work last month, I promised myself I would do everything I could to get out in the field at least a few times a month. And no, looking out the window does not count.

My most recent adventure consisted of water quality sampling in Monie Bay, part of the Chesapeake Estuarine Research Reserve on Maryland’sEastern Shore. The drive was long, but oh so worthwhile.

As a GIS Analyst, I spend copious amounts of time staring at water quality data. Dissolved oxygen, salinity, temperature, secchi depth, chlorophyll, Nitrogen and Phosphorus, total suspended solids…the list goes on and on. Still, it’s refreshing to participate in all stages of the process: data collection, processing, geocoding, and spatial analysis.

I’d been hoping to get some hands on experience with Chesapeake Bay water quality, and Monie Bay was a good place to make my wish become reality. One boat ride and two bald eagle sightings later, we were preparing water samples for processing at University of Maryland’s Chesapeake Biological Laboratory.

The Chesapeake Bay Program recently blogged about DNR’s larger water quality sampling endeavors and included a video of the entire process. Reserve sampling is similar, only at a much smaller scale.

From the Field: Monitoring water quality in the Chesapeake Bay

1. waleedarifmalik
    Sep 25, 2012

nice water i really loved it too..Thankss for sharing for this.:)