Gingerbread Mania
by Nicole Carlozo -- January 12th, 2011

I’d like to say I spent my break pouring over books and scouring the internet for summer internship opportunities, but in truth I spent most of my time in the kitchen forging an army of gingerbread men.
They most likely won’t help in the fight for sustainable living, but they did aid me in reaching a more immediate goal: sweet relaxation.

In what seems like no time at all, my first semester at Duke came and went. Part of me savors the idea of being one semester closer to the lovely shores of Beaufort, NC and a MEM degree.  On the other hand, spring semester brings with it many daunting decisions and a plethora of academic and professional activities. MP proposal deadlines, summer internship logistics, career fairs, the NCSE Our Changing Oceans Conference (just one week away!), spring modules, and guest speakers will undoubtedly fill up my time.  Sadly, my ginger army will be no help in the coming months.

Still, I plan to draw on my experiences from Winter Break for motivation and inspiration this semester. Just before Christmas, I traveled to Daytona, FL for my cousin’s graduation from Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University. On the way, I made sure to stop in Orlando for a trip to Universal’s Islands of Adventure theme park. While the Harry Potter section was my main target, I surprisingly spent most of my time perusing the Dr. Seuss section. What can I say? A few of the images spoke to me.

Statue of The Lorax at Universal's Islands of Adventure theme park, Orlando, Florida
Statue of The Lorax at Universal’s Islands of Adventure theme park, Orlando, Florida

Between Seuss Land and Embry-Riddle’s graduation ceremony, I couldn’t help thinking about my classmates at Duke. We form a different type of army from my delicious red and green gingerbread men – one that I can’t wait to see in action.