All About the Food
by Nicole Carlozo -- March 24th, 2011

Food has been a reoccurring theme in my life these past few weeks.

It all started with the season of Lent. I was minding my own business, bumming around in Durham over Spring Break, when Ash Wednesday suddenly arrived. This year, I swore off meat all together. I thought to myself: I could be a vegetarian for 40 days. It can’t be that hard, right?

I was doing pretty well until I smelled the savory aroma of sizzling bacon wafting through my apartment complex this week. Nevertheless, so far so good.

Unfortunately, I haven’t set aside time to learn new recipes. When Spring Break ended, we Nich Schoolers hit the ground running with papers, projects, and the like. Vegetables, rice, pasta, and pizza are continuous favorites of mine, but life is feeling kind of carb heavy. Although, I did have a run-in with a very tasty cherry lime locopop this week. Delicious!

Setting aside my current obsession with food, cooking has become a theme in the larger Nicholas School Community this week. Monday began the kick-off of a Project Gaia fundraiser, supported by student led WGELA. Project Gaia is a clean fuel initiative that replaces polluting fuels with clean, renewable alcohol fuels in developing countries. We’ve been working hard to raise money that will provide clean-cook stoves to communities in Central America and Haiti. And today four teams faced off in a “Top Chef” Cookout challenge. The stakes were high (a free stove to the winner!) and the food was good.

The contestants cooking away on clean stoves!

Along with team fundraising, WGELA sold scarves made by an Ethiopian women’s co-op whose members have received clean-cook stoves. Despite the 80 degree weather, I couldn’t resist.

I was suppose to be selling scarves, but instead bought one for myself...

For those in the Durham area, check out the Tavern tonight from 7-9pm. They’ll be accepting $5 donations at the door for the Project Gaia cause and raffling gift cards for eateries in the area.

1. Cidney Christie
    Mar 25, 2011

Top-Chef

Joshua Strauss won the Top Chef competition and the smell and presentation were amazing! Turns out he went to culinary school…Hmm no wonder.