A Little Sightseeing
by Nicole Carlozo -- November 3rd, 2011

France Part IV. There’s always time for a little more culture. Days 6 and 7 of our trip led us to the medieval village of Locronan, the abbey ruins of Saint-Mathieu, the breathtaking Notre Dame and, of course, the Eiffel Tower! From country roads to city streets, we basked in French culture and history

Day 6: October 14th. We arrived at Locronan at mid-morning and took to the streets to explore the old medieval village.

Taking a break on our walk above Locronan and enjoying the view before returning to town for lunch.

Shopping and exploring on a beautiful morning.

We came across a chocolate store amidst our wanderings and our noses carried us from room to room...

On our way to and from Locronan, we passed by wind turbine after wind turbine. They were very striking, emerging from the agricultural and rural land. It's funny that I had to travel all the way to France to see my first wind turbines. I gazed at them in awe while Michelle snapped picture after picture and we wound around the country roads towards our next destination.

We arrived at the Benedictine abbey ruins of St. Mathieu just as the fog rolled in. I walked along the rocky drop-off, staring down at the cold blue-green water. The water crashed repeatedly into the shore and caves along the cliff, leaving behind streams of white foam. Behind the abbey ruins sits a lighthouse and old lookout station.

Walking within the abandoned ruins, I couldn't help but take on a hushed, solemn demeanor.

While most of the abbey ceiling was intact, some of the building was open to the elements. I stared at the small nooks, crannies, and doorways, wondering where they once led and who walked within these halls.

We finished the day with dinner at a local crêperie, where we discussed the week's travels and events. Traditional Bretagne music played within the restaurant as we toasted the week with cidre.

Day 7: October 15th. We arrived in Paris about mid-afternoon and immediately made our way to the Eiffel Tower. We slowly navigated the crowds as we walked from Trocadéro to the tower and beyond to the Hôtel de Ville.

We wove in and out of the crowds towards the front of Notre Dame Cathedral. A large courtyard filled with people greeted us as we joined the line of tourists to enter the church. Although mass was in session, tourists were ushered around the cathedral's perimeter. I walked quietly, looking up at the gorgeous stained glass windows as the choir sang and the priest addressed the congregation. The strong scent of incense filled my lungs as I watched the proceedings and took a moment to pray my thanks.

Admiring the architecture of Notre Dame.

A view of Notre Dame from afar, as we made our way to Le Marais shopping district.

Our evening was spent walking the streets of Marais in search of shopping and food. As the stores began to close and the sun sank below the horizon, we returned to the Eiffel Tower for one last look.

e said

e said "au revoir" to Paris with one final trip to the Eiffel Tower. At night we found it lit up in all its glory. As we returned to our hotel, we noticed the lights flickering at us, almost as if Paris was sending good wishes and saying goodbye.

.