Jen's MEM Journey

MP Mania
by Jennifer Weiss -- December 7th, 2010

Where else but at the Nicholas school can you learn about sulfur emissions, green roofs, electric decoupling, deforestation and olive ridley turtles in the span of six hours?

I attended the MP Symposium yesterday for the December 2010 graduates.  Not only was I impressed by the confidence and poise of the presenters, I was overwhelmed by the breadth of their knowledge.

Masters Projects are never easy.  But, hopefully they are educational and are something that the presenter is passionate about.  This is clearly the case in the Master Project presentations that I attended at the Bryan Center yesterday.  The presentations were well thought out, brilliantly analyzed and each presenter’s unique style and love for their project shined throughout their 15 minute presentation.

For the audience, the projects were diverse and educational.  In the morning session alone, I learned about sulfur emissions in the shipping industry, youth garden programs, electric utility decoupling, NEMS modeling for the offshore wind industry and green roofs.  And, that was just in a span of 2 hours.  What a great way to learn about the topics affecting us today.

And this is what I love about the Nicholas school.  We each come to the school with our different backgrounds and experiences – some environmental, some not.  But, with each of our diverse experiences comes the opportunity to educate each other.  And, hopefully we’ll educate some faculty and administrators as well.

Although I have no idea what my MP topic will be, I am confident that I will learn a great deal and have fun while doing it.  But I am even more excited to learn from my colleague’s experiences and understand more about the environment through their work and research.

Well done 2010 graduates.  You have inspired and educated me.