Jen's MEM Journey

Majestic Mountains, Falling Leaves and Woolly Worms
by Jennifer Weiss -- October 19th, 2010

I should have been working on my Stats midterm. Or finishing my Modeling homework. Or at least starting my Econ problem set.

Instead my family and I drove up to the Blue Ridge Mountains last weekend with visions of red, gold and orange leaves in our heads.  This is my kind of environmental management.

I love fall.  There is something about the crisp mornings, the vibrant colors and the call of the outdoors that makes me want to pack up the family and drive 3 ½ hours to the Blue Ridge Mountains.  We’ve been making the trek each year since we moved to Raleigh five years ago.  There was no way I was going to miss it this year, despite the piles of homework that were calling my name from the kitchen table.

Did I make the right decision?  Sometimes pictures are worth much more than words.  So, here’s my argument in images.  You be the judge:

Stats Midterm or a hike to the top of Table Rock Mountain?

On top of Table Rock Mountain

On top of Table Rock Mountain

Energy Modeling homework or a trip to the Woolly Worm Festival?

Econ problem set or a drive on the Blue Ridge Parkway?

I know that later this week as I pull a couple of late nights to get all my school work done, I may fleetingly regret my decision to take the weekend off.  But, here’s the way I justify it.  I have the rest of my life to learn more about protecting the environment.  I only have a few weeks a year to enjoy the wondrous beauty of fall.  With memories of golden leaves still vivid in my mind, I know I made the right choice.

Happy Fall Y’all!!

1. Kat
    Oct 22, 2010

Aww…

Your girls are adorable!

2. Mimi
    Oct 22, 2010

Fall or Homework?

I definitely think you and the girls (and Dave!) made the right decision… the girls are looking mighty happy… and that woolly worm isn’t bad either! Do they really have a Woolly Worm Festival??? How great is that?

One needs to keep to some traditions.. and going to the mountains in the fall is one of them… Good choice… Love, Mimi

3. Susan Stair
    Oct 22, 2010

A refreshing pause!

Oh, the girls are becoming so grown up and beautiful! We miss you guys. And Jen, Da says to always remember, he’s got your “energy” back deep in the heart of the Gulf.

4. carol
    Oct 25, 2010

wooley worms and the beauty of it all

A lesson from this–Ya’ gotta know what it is to want to take care of it. And, the girls look mighty happy! (even here in Texas, haven’t got woolies as big as that!)