Jen's MEM Journey

Giving Thanks
by Jennifer Weiss -- November 24th, 2010

With our busy, hectic lives and non-stop schedules, sometimes it feels good to slow down and give thanks for the many things that are important.

I wish Thanksgiving came more than once a year.  It would encourage me to more regularly show my appreciation for the people and things that are important to me.   To step back and remember that though there are many things we could be doing with our time, there are some things that have more meaning.  And so, since Thanksgiving is upon us, I am going to take a moment now and give thanks:

I am thankful for my family.  For my husband who has tirelessly put up with my late nights doing homework and for picking up my slack at early-morning bus-stops, dinner negotiations, house cleaning and countless other areas, so I could pursue a dream.

I am thankful for my beautiful children who can melt away my stress with their giggles and are so wise beyond their years that they inspire me each and every day.

I am thankful for my parents.  For giving me the skills I need to successfully navigate life’s little (and not so little) challenges and for supporting every decision I make.

I am thankful for my Raleigh friends and their enthusiastic support of my decision to return to school and who tirelessly help to make it happen.

I am thankful for Sleeptime tea at night and Breakfast Blend coffee in the morning.

I am thankful for my new Duke friends who make classes and group projects fun and impress me with their knowledge, maturity and passion at such young ages.  It comforts me to know that our future is in good hands.

I am thankful for old friends.  For knowing that even though I haven’t seen some of them for years, we will always be able to pick up where we left off.

I am thankful that my last Energy Modeling homework of the semester is done.

I am thankful for my professors and for the administrative team at the Nicholas School who, despite the fact that I will never be crowned a “40 under 40” influential environmental leader, still found a place for me at this wonderful school and every day reaffirm for me that this is the place I should be.

I am thankful that despite everything that is wrong in this world, there are so many people trying to do what is right and I am surrounded by them every day.

Have a safe and happy thanksgiving with your friends and family!