Jen's MEM Journey

Back to School
by Jennifer Weiss -- August 24th, 2011

school busThe backpacks are full of supplies, first day outfits are picked out and excitement is building. Now, where did I put my crayons?

Over the next week, three out of four of the members of my family are returning to school. The mad rush to make sure that we are ready has taken over the Weiss household.  Elementary school, it seems, has been missed by my 1st and 3rd graders.  Summer is fun, but they are ready to get back to business (or at least see all their friends).

I have been preparing too – but not exactly in the same way.  My teachers haven’t sent out a supply list, and I haven’t attended Meet The Teacher night, but I am just as excited as my daughters by the prospects of what the new school year will bring (and yes, I am excited to see my friends again too).

As I enter my final year of graduate school, I am starting to look forward to the future.  After spending the summer doing an energy efficiency audit for Shaw University in downtown Raleigh, I am excited to dive into my Master’s Project – a case study on energy efficiency and education in the Wake County Public School System.  I am excited for two reasons:  1) I get to combine everything that I have learned over the past year to help a public school system that continues to face budget cuts; and 2) I get to work with elementary, middle and high school students to help them better understand the environmental consequences of their actions and watch them grow into future environmental leaders.

Am I ready to return to Duke?  Definitely – I can’t wait to attend my new classes, listen to new ideas, and participate in the environmental conversations that take place daily on campus.  If it is anything like my first year at the Nicholas School, the year will go by in a blur of environmental education and activism.  And, I will love every minute of it.

But what excites me the most about returning to school is learning more about all the projects that my fellow Nicholas School Class of 2012 classmates are working on.  I am looking forward to the day when all 120 of us are out in the work force and putting our own individual mark on the future of our planet.  That is what the Nicholas School is all about and I am excited to be a part of it for at least one more year.

1. Centrifugal Pump
    Aug 25, 2011

Back to School

It’s nice to hear another mom balancing parenthood with academe. Don’t forget the lunchboxes.