Nicholas School Internship Blogs

Third Eye Blind
by -- July 23rd, 2012

“Not amused.” This was the first thing that came to mind when I awoke to feel the skin on my forehead stretching uncomfortably in the middle of the night. Great. The mosquito bite I got during the evening spoor tracking preparation run (we go out and sweep the road to be tracked the following morning with a thornbush to remove all prints) turned out to be a tsetse fly bite. Apparently, I react fairly significantly to such bites and tsetse flies just seem to love me. The feeling is not mutual I assure you. So, now I had a golfball sized welt in the middle of my forehead. Very attractive. (And before you ask, no, I am not posting pictures of my third eye.) I immediately tried putting a paste of benadryl on the bite to see if that would slow the swelling (also very attractive – a giant hot pink circle on my forehead). I think it worked a little, but I got a bit of a weird look from Tuma (one of the cooks) when I stumbled into the kitchen at 6 am on my way to the office. In my stupor I had left a bit of the benadryl on my forehead by mistake. Fortunately, this particular bite never become incredibly itchy like some of the others (perhaps thanks to the overnight benadryl treatments), but I now abhor tsetse flies! I will miss many things about Africa when I head home next month, but they are not on the list!

1. Sue Smith
    Aug 1, 2012

Oh, that must be awful! Once you’ve been bitten once, does it get any better, or are they all bad? I feel for you!