Nicholas School Internship Blogs

Count Down to Home
by -- August 9th, 2013

Leaving is always a bitter sweet feeling. While I cannot wait to get my hands on some Chipotle and milk, and will not miss the noseeums/biting midges, I will go through a difficult diving withdrawal period and miss the incredible people I have met. Living at Small Hope has spoiled me with some of the best dive sites in the world,

DCIM100GOPRO DCIM100GOPRO DCIM100GOPRO _DSC0104delicious meals that always ends in 3 or 4 choices for dessert,DSCF3480

and one of the most interesting atmospheres I have encountered. I’ve had unexpected dinner conversations chatting with oil companies executives on fracking to international development workers on new World Heath Organization programs.

The guests at Small Hope come from a wide breath of industries and backgrounds but all share a common desire to see beyond the typical tourist destinations! Small Hope attracts  like minded travelers interested in learning about the local culture, have an appreciation for the wilderness and simplicity in life. Being on the remote island of Andros, Small Hope is isolated from the souvenir shops of Paradise Island, the cruise ship routes, and pretty much everything. Its been a rare escape away from the normal hustle and bustle.

With a few hours left, I have been busy running through my bucket list: took a   mini road trip around the island, traveling to Mastic Point and Morgan’s Bluff in northern Andros,

DSCF3442DSCF3475DSCF3361

dove to 185 feet, went to the inland blue hole

DSCF3428and swam through sulfur reducing bacteria (the white strings below which form what looks like underwater spider webs)DCIM100GOPROand wrapping up the end of my project. We finally finished laying all of the pipes around the resort and I have been focused on finalizing the user manual for the solar hot water system.

1. Guidance counselor lesson plans
    Aug 10, 2013

Nice post, I really like the pictures. I’ve always wanted to go scuba diving but I’m afraid of the sharks.

2. Gordie
    Aug 20, 2013

Wow – We have been busy getting Shelly off to college this past week, so I just noticed your update is nearly two weeks ago!

Any final pictures?
    Is it up and running?

When do you return to NC and Duke?

Gordie