Insects and the City

Treat Yourself
by Amanda Giddon -- March 27th, 2014

The few months between the wintry holiday season and my June birthday are always slow and presentless – no surprises, no cards, no wrapping paper. However, this year I am buying out all the “just because” Hallmark cards at CVS and indulging in a shameless session of self-gifting. Want a souvenir just because it’s Sunday? Here are some little pick-me-up gifts with an environmental flair that will have you waiting at the doorstep for the deliveryman.

1. S’well Bottles

Image from swellbottle.com

Image from swellbottle.com

The S’well bottle is the super model of water bottles. She is beautiful, poised, and usually on a liquid diet. Her body of non-leaching and non-toxic stainless steel can keep drinks cold for 24 hours, and hot for 12. In addition, S’well partners with organizations like WaterAid, American Forests, and Drink Up, giving back to the community. Though pricier than a run-of-the-mill water bottle, these products are absolutely stunning, and contribute to the worthy cause of clean water. I want one in every color. (Personal faves: anything from the Stone Collection.)

1. Nature Box
Image from naturebox.com

Image from naturebox.com

If the liquid diet isn’t for you – you must check out Nature Box. At $19.95 a month, you can get five delicious, healthy snacks delivered to your doorstep. Craving dried fruit? Check out the four options for March.  Hungry for sunflower seeds? Nature Box has six different varieties. Need to spice up your life? Don’t hand select your snack for the month, and have Nature Box surprise you. (Or choose something spicy.)

The products are wholesome and delicious, and the company has donated over 150,000 meals to people in need. What’s currently in my box? Honey Macadamia Pretzel Pops, Roasted Sea Salt Chickpeas, Dried California Peaches, and two surprises ; ).

Image from methodhome.com

Image from methodhome.com

1. Method Gelato Foaming Hand Wash

This next item is on my wish list. During my semester abroad in Barcelona (and my visit to Italy,) I fell head over heals in love with gelato. Gelato was a way of life. Though Durham has supreme ice cream – check out the Parlour, and the Ben & Jerry’s core – authentic gelato seems nonexistent. Solution? Gelato hand soap by Method. Method products are sleek, biodegradable, and smell better than any perfume. I am adding the brambleberry gelato and orange ginger sorbet hand wash to my cart as I type.

1. Itsy Bitsy Photos In A Tiny Signed Box

This last tiny gift came up on my Instagram feed this week. National Geographic’s photography is nothing short of spectacular, and this baby collection of shots from one of their photographers combines two of my favorite things – stunning snapshots of people and their environment, and anything mini. Photographer Kitra Cahana sells her beautiful boxes, and gives them as gifts to her friends and wonderful people she encounters on her travels. If you are not lucky enough to cross paths with Kitra, this Isy Bitsy box is a lovely investment.

il_570xN.580673252_jae2

I hope you treat yourself this month – and always!