Insects and the City

Products of Passion
by Amanda Giddon -- October 22nd, 2012

It’s late and I deplaned an hour ago and to be honest, writing is the last thing I thought I would be doing right now. But inspiration is an Alexander McQueen avant garde runway show: dreamy, enthralling and full of eccentric characters. Alexander McQueen got me thinking about inspiration, and the ability to inspire others. He turned dreams into reality and got others entranced by his dream. Inspiration can be a fleeting gift, so when it comes, I run with it as far as far as my 8th grade track team experiment will permit – and pray I am wearing appropriate footwear.

I am inspired by the modesty in which words can make you realize what you hope for, the way in which art is the most humble tutor: clinging to bodies, walls, and nature. People inspire me. Change-makers. People who want, no, need, to make a difference – no matter the field. (Field in the disciplinary or grassland sense.) Passionate people – that’s what it’s about. That’s what I’m all about right now.

I care about the environment. I care deeply for my friends, family and peers. I care unconditionally for prose and its visual companions. What inspires me to write this blog, though maybe drowsily and full of airline peanuts, are those who bind it all together like an unyielding corset dress. (A girl’s best friend and worst nightmare all at the same time.) Those who can make others care move me. The highest honor goes to the person who sets off a chain reaction of caring, waking people from their slumber.  The person who recycles words about the environment to construct the most penetrating verse, he or she is my superman. Magnetizing, eloquent, and honest.

Below are some poetic words that made me want to care about something, some that made me care about the natural world, and others that made me care about you caring about it too: 

The doers:

“Don’t ask what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive, and go do it. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive” — Howard Thurman, civil rights activist, author, and philosopher

The very least you can do in your life is figure out what you hope for. And the most you can do is live inside that hope. Not admire it from a distance, but live right in it, under its roof.

-Barbara Kingsolver

“Fashion is not something that exists in dresses only. Fashion is in the sky, in the street, fashion has to do with ideas, the way we live, what is happening.” ~Coco Chanel

The romantic naturalists:

It’s lovely to live on a raft. We had the sky up there, all speckled with stars, and we used to lay on our backs and look up at them, and discuss about whether they was made or only just happened.

Mark Twain

If the moon smiled, she’d resemble you.

You leave the same impression

of something beautiful, but annihilating.

-Sylvia Plath

From my mother’s favorite novel: “…An average of seventy-four species become extinct every day, which was one good reason but not the only one to hold someone’s hand…”

― Nicole Krauss, The History of Love

A doer, a naturalist, a writer, superman:

The signs that the world is spinning out of kilter are increasingly difficult to misinterpret. The question is how to convince enough people to join a critical mass of urgent opinion, in the U.S. and the rest of the world.  – Al Gore

“As many know, the Chinese expression for “crisis” consists of two characters side by side. The first is the symbol for “danger,” the second the symbol for “opportunity.””

― Al Gore, An Inconvenient Truth: The Planetary Emergency of Global Warming and What We Can Do About It

Me:

I have a full hamper of goals I wish to achieve, but if I can avoid one thing, let it be this:

They kill good trees to put out bad newspapers.  ~James G. Watt, quoted in Newsweek, 8 March 1982

I hope I am doing okay so far.

Stay tuned for my next post on Bull City Craft…

Until next time! Miss ya already.

1. Sara
    Oct 25, 2012

Great post. In this hectic world, it’s easy to pass over what inspires – thanks for reminding me to take a minute and remember those things.