Insects and the City

Autumn in Asheville
by Amanda Giddon -- November 3rd, 2014

Driving down the Blue Ridge Parkway belting John Denver’s “Country Roads” and counting the colors in the trees is pretty unrivaled as far as weekend getaways go.  This fall I took my insects to another city – Asheville, NC. Take a peek at a few of my memories and hit the parkway to make some of your own.

photo 1

Downtown Asheville swells with energy and inventiveness. You can’t walk very far without being drawn into the harmonies of the street musicians or the mysterious appeal of performers. My personal favorites of the weekend were Chris Rodrigues and Abby the Spoon Lady, who made everyone feel like they could make magic out of their silverware drawer, and no gravity man, who managed to be both creepy and impressive at the same time.

photo 5

photo 4

Next I made my way to the Biltmore Estate, a Châteauesque style mansion, which was the lifelong project of George Washington Vanderbilt II. The Biltmore is currently the largest privately owned house in the United States. The 250 rooms are astounding, but I found the property’s sprawling gardens to be the real show-stopper.

_DSC0071

_DSC0056

photo 2

After a wine tasting and a garden promenade at the Biltmore, I hit the Blue Ridge Parkway. The reds and yellows of fall peeked through the thick fog to reveal some awe-inspiring views. I pulled over to the scenic overlooks to soak up the smells of autumn and explore the trailheads that lined the meandering road.

_DSC0048

10629685_10152817383509434_7060521804997639419_n

Although Asheville has more than enough excitement to offer, I had to venture off to neighboring Hendersonville, NC, to find the best apple picking in the state. I visited Sky Top Orchard, a charming mountaintop of apple and fruit trees, and made out with a stellar crop of granny smiths. The ensuing apple pie did NOT disappoint.

10450898_10152817383229434_7435137752118932918_n

photo

If that leaves you hungry (how could it?) there’s always  North Carolina barbecue and local beer not so far down the road.

photo 2

photo 1

Enjoy!

1. Spoon Lady
    Nov 5, 2014

Glad you enjoyed us 🙂 – Abby the Spoon Lady