Marine Conservation Biology in Hawaii

Oahu (Tues., 1/20/09): Hawaiian Longline Fishing and the Papahānaumokuākea National Monument – w/video
by -- January 23rd, 2009

After our exciting trip to the fish market we chatted with Sean Martin, a fisherman and boat owner in the Hawaiian longline tuna and swordfish fishery. We then visited NOAA’s office to learn all about the Papahānaumokuākea National Monument, where we’ll be heading tomorrow to visit Midway Atoll!

1. George
    Dec 9, 2009

Do you think that overfishing is evident in Hawaii?

When I was out at the fishing docks on the coast here, I noticed a lot of people do worry about the limited amount of fish that are out there.

Anyway that was a nice Video, Thank you!

2. Gold Coast Fishing
    Dec 9, 2009

Looks like exactly the same type of equipment used by long liners here in Australia, biggest problem with long lining is it kills nearly everything that is hooked including turtles and birds.

3. Ice Fishing House Reviews
    Feb 7, 2010

Great video. This makes me want to move to Hawaii and figure out how to make a living as a fisherman. I’m stuck ice fishing most of the time. Check out my pictures at http://www.icefishinghousereviews.com. I’d rather switch you places.

4. Feli at Fishing Secrets
    Feb 7, 2010

Hi webmaster, commenters and everybody else – The blog was absolutely fantastic! Lots of great information and inspiration, both of which we all need – Keep ‘em coming… you all do such a great job at such Concepts… can’t tell you how much I, for one appreciate all you do!

5. Captain
    Mar 8, 2010

Great video. Destin fishing is amazing and I would love to get out that way sometime to fish.

6. Fishing Oahu
    Nov 23, 2010

Overfishing is evident… thank goodness their still abundance of fish there… but they don’t have to wait for that devastating moment to arrive if they don’t do their part in conserving marine life.