Nicholas School Blogs | Guest

These Are A Few Of My Favorite Things: Local Food Edition
by -- March 21st, 2011

In the Sound of Music, Julie Andrew’s character Maria sings about crisp apple strudels and schnitzel with noodles. Like Maria, food definitely makes it on my list of favorite things.

I love food and exploring new places to dine.  This makes Durham, North Carolina the ideal place to live.  Durham and surrounding locales have more restaurants than I could ever try.  In addition to the number of places, Durham boasts many restaurants and venues that provide local food options.

Eating locally-sourced food means that the food I eat did not travel thousands of miles to get to my plate (saving precious natural resources).  Purchasing food that has been grown or raised locally also supports the local economy. (Read more about the local food movement here.)

My Top Picks For Locally-Sourced Food In Durham

Durham Farmer’s Market: While this is not a restaurant, I love going to the farmer’s market and purchasing local produce, cheese, and even meats.

I recommend checking out Seeds at the farmer’s market.  They are a non-profit that gives local teens an opportunity to garden and sell their crops.  The teens are extremely knowledgeable about all the produce they sell.

The Q Shack: Any list about North Carolina food would not be complete without a BBQ restaurant.  The Q Shack uses meat raised and butchered in North Carolina.  You can even order locally sourced meat boxes from The Q Shack.

Watt’s Grocery: While a bit pricy for my graduate school student income, Watt’s is the perfect place to try local, seasonal dishes.  In addition, they have a unique cocktail menu that is updated seasonally.

Your Turn!

Now that you know my favorite places to eat local food in Durham, what would you recommend I try?  Is there a food truck I can’t miss, or a café with the best locally roasted coffee that you’ve ever tasted?

Please comment so I can continue my local food adventure!