Amplifying Voices

Ninakukosa Tanzania
by Emily Myron -- November 1st, 2011

After giving my SIDG presentation on my summer in Tanzania, I have gotten nostalgic. Come relive some memories with me!

If you did not follow my blog this summer, I spent 11 weeks in rural Tanzania working with the African People & Wildlife Fund.  For one of the grant’s I received (from the Lazar Foundation) I was required to give a presentation on my experience.  I could talk about it for pages and pages, but, instead, I have decided to share a few videos with you that I took this summer.  In total, they will take less than 10 minutes, so take a study break and come with me to Loibor Siret, Tanzania.

First is the traditional Maasai dance that I promised many blog entries ago.  It was really quite impressive in person, as the mens’ voices filled the room we were in, reverberating off the stones.  (Please also note that the lead singer checks his cell phone in the middle of the piece…I think it is a pretty funny juxtaposition with the traditional song and dance.

I have chosen 2 out of the upwards of 20 videos I took during the environmental summer camps (‘Kambi ya Mazingira’).  The first is a group of girls singing about their mazingira – their environment.  The second is an impressive (if I do say so myself) rendition of ‘Head, Shoulders, Knees, and Toes’ in both Kingereza (English) and Kiswahili.

Finally, this is a snippet from the drive we took nearly every day between Noloholo Environmental Center and the village center.  Mibuyu Miwili – the twin baobabs – were my favorite landmark in this amazing landscape. You can also get a pretty good idea of the quality of the roads in the village…try not to get too carsick!

Well, that gives you a little taste of my summer.  Check out my blog if you want to see more, otherwise, next week, we will be back in the US…

1. Tawnee
    Nov 2, 2011

Great videos, Em!

I love the videos! They give a great feel for what it was like to be there that’s hard to convey through words or pictures – though you do a fabulous job through those two mediums as well. I’m glad you were able to get them up. So glad you had an awesome summer experience!