Devil Fish

Gabon I: Here we go!
by Emma Kelley -- June 24th, 2015

The Monday after graduating from the Nicholas School, I found myself sitting in the Raleigh-Durham airport, waiting to begin one of the most incredible journeys of my life. Later, in the dimly lit cabin on the flight from Toronto to Paris, I wrote the following brief blog to kick off a series of entries on this adventure:

“As I write, I’m currently on my second of three international flights which will land me in the location of my final Nicholas School course: Tropical Ecology and Conservation in Gabon. Last year, I clicked through my friend Julie’s photos of the Gabon course and listened to her stories with envy. We were in the frigid computer lab late in the evening, drowning under the weight of a lab due the following morning and reminiscing of times spent in warmer places. I listened to her incredible stories and promised myself to apply to go next year. Now, here I am, flying across the Atlantic Ocean to spend two weeks exploring the equatorial country of Gabon!”

Say tuned for the following blogs about this exciting adventure, including elephants, waterfalls, gorillas, manioc, and, of course, mangroves!