Devil Fish

A brief introduction: Summer in Belize
by Emma Kelley -- May 22nd, 2014

After a long few months neglecting this poor blog to finish up my first year of graduate school, I’m back!  The end of this semester was intense, to put it lightly, but everyone seems to have made it out in once piece and we are all now all beginning our summer internships.  MEM students are traveling all over the world for a wide range of almost unbelievable opportunities.  Be sure to check out some of the other summer internship blogs- Maria in India, Elena in Washington, Jose in Mexico, Ian in Gabon, and Maggie in Peru. 

I am currently writing from the George Bush Intercontinental Airport in Houston, Texas, while waiting for a final flight to my summer internship destination: Belize City.  I will be blogging all summer from Belize while working for the Ministry of Forestry, Fisheries, and Sustainable Development on a project to evaluate the blue carbon capacity of the Belizean mangrove forests.  My project partner and myself will be living in Belize City working on this project, gathering data on the current extent of the mangrove forests, the carbon held in these ecosystems, the variety of threats facing the mangroves and more.

Stay tuned later this week for more details on this incredible project and my first few days in Belize.

1. Tawnee
    May 27, 2014

So exciting! Hope your flight down went well and can’t wait to hear how the project is coming along!