Good COP, Bad COP

Copenhagen, part II
by -- December 12th, 2009

There are not many Americans that can claim to have visited Denmark twice in one year – in March and December no less – but here I am again… I attended the International Scientific Congress on Climate Change, a precursor to COP15 aimed at informing decision makers on new climate research since the IPCC report was released. The message at that conference was that science provides even more compelling evidence that climate change is real and that man is largely to blame. While the recent East Anglia email controversy provided some fodder for non-believers, I still doubt this carries much weight in the face of all other research.

Now that COP15 is in full swing, it will be interesting to see if the world can agree to do something about this global problem. In my first few hours in the Bella Center I can sense a great deal of energy and hope among observers, but have not yet heard anything about the negotiations. The momentum leading up to Copenhagen was not overwhelmingly promising, so I am hopeful that meaningful progress can be made here. I fear that the failure to pass legislation in the U.S. will stall negotiations and limit Obama’s “halo effect.” Regardless, it will be fascinating to see how the conference unfolds. Let the climate circus begin!