The Confused Environmentalist

Locally Sourced Living
by Jennifer Weiss -- May 24th, 2012

Over the years, my husband and I have developed a running joke when we go out to eat.  Each time we see something listed on a menu as “locally sourced,” we assume that it is just a way for the restaurant to charge more – kind of a loyalty program for locals.  We roll our eyes as if to acknowledge that we are on to this marketing ploy, this “take pride in your country and buy American” type of manipulation that in the past had only been used by auto makers and flag manufacturers.  We nod conspiratorially at each other – yep, here’s another restaurant trying to take advantage of the green movement.

In reality, however, I know this is not what they are doing. All jokes aside, we generally order the local foods because they taste fresh and yummy.  When we travel, we do this because we want to taste the foods that are local to the community.  When we are home, we want to support our local farmers and our local restaurants.  As a graduate of an environmental school, I am very aware of the benefits of locally grown foods.  How a strawberry picked 25 miles away in an organic garden is much more tasty and healthy (and  not coincidentally, environmentally sustainable) than one picked in California (sorry California friends!).

But while I appreciate the tastiness of locally sourced foods at restaurants, it has only been recently that this idea of local foods has come home to my own kitchen.  Up until a year ago, I purchased my fruits and vegetables at the neighborhood grocery store. While I was picking up my usual household items, I would comb through the produce department and purchase my fruits and vegetables. If they looked fresh, I assumed they were.  Even if they just flew in from Mexico.  Mexico is local to someone, isn’t it?  While the produce didn’t always taste exceptional, my kids would eat it and I felt successful in getting my family to eat their daily requirements of fruits and vegetables.

Last year, my outlook on local foods changed. After experiencing some health issues and reading more about the harm that pesticides can do to the produce, to our land and to our bodies, I decided to focus more on organic foods.  And yes, I decided to look more closely at  locally sourced foods.

Now, when I say locally sourced, I do not mean a garden in my back yard.  My thumbs are not green enough for that.  No, I am talking about my new love  – the Produce Box.  Ah, the Produce Box.  Once a week, a box of deliciously fresh and tasty fruits and vegetables arrive at my door (well, usually my cooler) just waiting to be chopped, cooked, or just popped into our mouths.  That first moment when I pull the food out of the cooler and try to think about what I will fix with it are magical.  And this is coming from someone who has never cooked bok choy in her life.  I rush to the computer and look up all sorts of crazy recipes to make with my fresh, locally sourced food. The most crazy thing about it is that my kids are eating these new (and not so exotic) vegetables too.  Kale chips anyone?

Some friends have argued that the local foods in the produce box or at stores like Whole Foods are more expensive.  I suppose this may be true – I have not done a complete breakdown of the costs.  But, I will tell you one thing.  Locally sourced food tastes better, it is better for us and it supports our community.  I’ll pay an extra 5 cents an apple for those benefits.

My box arrives today and I can’t wait.  This week I’ve chose Box ‘B’:  Blueberries, Broccoli, Red Potatoes, Beets, Kale, Sweet Onions, Tomato.  Yum … my mouth is watering already.  Anyone have a good recipe for Beets?

1. Dani
    May 24, 2012

I roast my beets and put them in a ‘greek’ salad: blue cheese, beets (roasted if they come in my produce box!), artichoke hearts, lettuce, covered in my homemade balsamic vinaigrette. Yum!