Christine’s Tea Room

It’s FALL FESTIVAL!
by Christine Chen -- October 9th, 2012

You don’t want to miss it!

A night with country music, beer, pumpkin carving, and homemade dishes (including ours!!) is definitely second to none!! My friends and I drove for 30 minutes to a really cool farm in Hillsborough to attend the Fall Festival! As far as I know, the Fall Festival is held by Woodcrest Farm and Nicholas School together so tonight I saw a lot of Nics there, cheers!

I have never been to a farm in the U.S. before, so everything at Woodcrest seems so interesting and worth-trying. We arrived at 6:40 p.m. When we got there, we saw a beautiful white house standing on the grassland, several tables outside with finished/half-finished pumpkins and about twenty meters away there is the barn, where the event took place today. We put our homemade food on the long table with other dishes because we are eating a potluck today (we brought fried rice and pork-in-cucumber, and I had a bet with my friend about whose food is more popular — we never knew the answer because the next time we inspected both were empty!) I was also amazed at how delicious these homemade dishes were. I tried some salty cheese pie, sour pork BBQ (awesome 😉 ), and bread with chicken sauce (I would pay for that dish, really!) During dinner time, there were two gentlemen singing and playing country music with guitar. Girls in red dress and boys in plaid shirt, with flowing country music and I’ve got a beer in hand. And I thought to myself, am I in the western movie? I couldn’t help but feel that way.

There are various activities for us to try. I would like to tell the two most exciting things I’ve tried: pumpkin carving and hayride.

♥Pumpkin Carving

I’ve never carved a pumpkin before so I was quite excited that I finally have a chance to do that. We grabbed a pumpkin and the tool first. Then we cleaned up the seeds and pulp inside so that we can keep the pumpkin longer. Next, we drew the draft on the surface and started to do the carving work! The tool we were using is a really thin knife with sawtooth on it. Before we started, a question popped out my mind: “The pumpkin peel seems thick, is the small knife going to work?” But amazingly, it worked really well! I am so glad we have something to put on our porch on Halloween. ^_^

P.S. If you want to carve a pumpkin by yourself, this website is a good helper Walt’s Pumpkin Carving Secrets

♥Hayride

We had a hayride around the farm. A hayride is a pleasant ride on an open truck or sleigh decorated by hay or straw. Then the tractor pulled us ahead. This activity is usually held at night, and during Holloween, sometimes with haunted stories (1). Unfortunately, we didn’t hear any scary stories this time because we were focusing on the farm animals.

During the ride, I saw 4-5 goats and 7-8 cattle (some are really hyper and some always try to eat the hay around my feet). There should be more animals in the farm but only these are lingering on the grassland. Even someone like me, a first timer on a farm, can tell this is not a large-scale business model, so why are they doing this?

I have some idea after visiting Woodcrest’s website, it says “This has always been a ‘family farm’ – which means that, in today’s agricultural market, it is too small to be profitable in the usual agri-business model. Our strategy has been to develop niche markets: grass-fed Dexter and Angus beef, farm-raised pork, goats and sheep, free-range chickens, pet milk, and in 2008 we began raising organic produce. All of these activities can coexist, use the land gently, and be economically practical for a family farm.”

It turns out not every farm is hundreds of acres wide, raising hundreds of thousands of live stock (I admit that it’s my stereotype of a farm before). And, I am excited to know that people are really working on sustainable agriculture. It was a fascinating day for me. It’s FALL FESTIVAL!!!

Reference

(1)   Wikipedia-Hayride (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hayride)

External Links

Walt’s Pumpkin Carving Secrets (http://wls.wwco.com/garden/pumpkin.html)

Woodcrest’s website (http://www.woodcrestfarmnc.com/)

1. Tawnee
    Oct 9, 2012

Lovely post, Christine! It was a delight for me to read about your Fall Harvest Festival experience, especially because I wasn’t able to go this year – so thanks for “taking me along” with you. I’m glad you had fun!

• Christine Chen
      Christine Chen
      Oct 9, 2012

I’m glad you like it, Tawnee. Nothing is more cheerful than a reader’s delight after reading the article. I hope you’ll have chance to go next year, and I think I’ll probably go next year because I like their country-style so much!

PS. Today, I found the pumpkin that I brought home got rotted, so sad.